Author Topic: SCHEDULE POSTED  (Read 407 times)

Slipgate

• Immortal Camorrista
    • View Profile
SCHEDULE POSTED
« on: August 02, 2008, 09:41:35 PM »
http://www.otakon.com/events_schedule.asp

Preliminary schedule has a different (event-centric) format this year. Will have to see if this is reflected in how the guide works.

Start your plannings, ladies and gentlemen.

Funny enough, Slayers Revolution 1-4 is on the list somewhere, but I think watching it together is still better, especially since that probably clashes with a metric ton of things other people will want to do.
--

Ismail "Slipgate" Saeed
AGFF Veteran, Veteran of Old TheFurryOne.net Forum

Because metal waffles don't have fur.

"Luke, you are going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

KAHighwind

• Chat Commissar
  • Lemon curry?
    • View Profile
Re: SCHEDULE POSTED
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 01:29:14 AM »
Aw, flippin' 'eck, both Peter S. Beagle events are at bloody 9am!?  Right, I can't guarantee I'll be awake for those, but if I am, I'll go.  And if not, well, I've seen The Last Unicorn numerous times anyway.  At the very least, I presume he'll have a stall in the Dealer's Room or wherever, so I'll stop by to pay my respects there.  That aside, there are a few "maybe" panels on various video games.... no Kurosawa film this year?  That's disappointing.  Or perhaps it just hasn't been posted yet - one presumes this schedule is very subject to change, as is the case every year.

Still, you know me - I'll likely spend long hours in the video game hall, though whether or not I'll actually play the games I haven't yet decided.  Depends what they have this year, I suppose. (They'll surely have the new Mario Kart and Smash Bros. and Soul Calibur games - well, possibly not the new one in the latter case given the recent release date - but I think I'll stick to the former two only during the evening in-room gaming sessions.)

-Kain.

Slipgate

• Immortal Camorrista
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 11:47:23 AM »
Aw, flippin' 'eck, both Peter S. Beagle events are at bloody 9am!?  Right, I can't guarantee I'll be awake for those, but if I am, I'll go.  And if not, well, I've seen The Last Unicorn numerous times anyway.  At the very least, I presume he'll have a stall in the Dealer's Room or wherever, so I'll stop by to pay my respects there.  That aside, there are a few "maybe" panels on various video games.... no Kurosawa film this year?  That's disappointing.  Or perhaps it just hasn't been posted yet - one presumes this schedule is very subject to change, as is the case every year.

I'll probably be trying for the Beagle stuff too... I need to look at what, if anything, clashes with it.

My phone is an amazingly obnoxious alarm clock, though, so I can help force the two of us awake as necessary. (At the expense of the others, though)

The schedule is still TBA, yeah. A few of the live movies looked interesting, and Rakugo might be worth seeing in person.

Still, you know me - I'll likely spend long hours in the video game hall, though whether or not I'll actually play the games I haven't yet decided.  Depends what they have this year, I suppose. (They'll surely have the new Mario Kart and Smash Bros. and Soul Calibur games - well, possibly not the new one in the latter case given the recent release date - but I think I'll stick to the former two only during the evening in-room gaming sessions.)
Actually (for me, anyway) there is far less "MUST-GO" guestage this year. There's some nifty stuff, like Peter Fernandez, and I am going to see Kazu & Hiromi as well as try to see Kappei Yamaguchi, but it seems a much more panel-centric Otakon is likely for me this year.
On that front, it's way overloaded. This schedule prints at 36 pages assuming you don't expand any descriptions, so instead of being able to print it out and circle things, I needed to copy and paste things over to a Word document (sometimes with the descriptions so I knew what it was) and that came to twenty-some pages.

I really find myself wondering how I'll keep myself this Otakon without running myself ragged. I'm not as tip-top as in previous years and have gained a lot of weight and lost a lot of endurance...
--

Ismail "Slipgate" Saeed
AGFF Veteran, Veteran of Old TheFurryOne.net Forum

Because metal waffles don't have fur.

"Luke, you are going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

TheFurryOne

• Forum Tyrant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 10:06:21 AM »
For the record, an official grid-style schedule has been made available:

http://otakon.com/pdf/otakon-8.5x11-schedule.pdf

Despite the name, it's probably best printed on 8.5x14 (legal) paper.

EDIT: Notable things on the schedule (now that I can make sense of what doesn't clash with everything else) include Alison to Lillia, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, 21 Years of Megaman, Bubble Fiction, and the fan films/parodies.  (Alison to Lillia's of particular interest to me since it's by largely the same team as Kino's Journey.)

EDIT 2: And now I know why the Kino novels dried up-- Tokyopop got into some serious hot water with MediaWorks and the author after they botched the first volume (ruining the story order, removing the cover art), and apparently MW and Sigsawa said "F you" and blocked the second one's release.  Oh, and TP said they "didn't license" any of the Scrapped Princess novels past the third.  Who's with me to go and excoriate the Tokyopop panelist for this?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 11:02:50 AM by TheFurryOne »
Your Loving Tyrant

32_Footsteps

• Seeker of Light Orbs
  • Still Spoony after all these years
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Madness & Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 11:12:07 AM »
Actually, could someone just go to the TP panel and find out what the hell is up with their translation crew?  I've been noting that they're licensing much less stuff, and what Japanese stuff they do license is dealing with schedule slip worse than a webcomic artist with amnesia.  I'm starting to think they're going to just go completely domestic once they finish Fruits Basket and Welcome To The NHK.
--

Reality is a choice - a very poor one

Beyond Madness & Genius - Working on our first title, Point of Descent, for Xbox Live Indie Games.

Katyanna

• Licensed Spacecraft Pilot
  • Waaaiiiiifffuuuuu! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 11:15:16 AM »
While I'm up for giving the TP panelist grief, I also have to recognize that whoever the panelist is probably has media pamphlet with information about planned releases and that's about it. They won't know anything about the translation crew or the marketing and editing stupidities.
"At this point the horse has left the barn, crossed the border and is drinking a deadly cocktail on a beach somewhere tropical." -Richard Clark, Medium.com writer on the Heartbleed exploit

TheFurryOne

• Forum Tyrant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 11:23:12 AM »
Really, then, all we would need to do is go to ANN after the Tokyopop panel and see that they won't/can't license anything new, and we'll all be happy.

I'm starting to think that whatever issues ADV ran into earlier this year hit Tokyopop first and harder.  Maybe it's possible that they both used the same or related license brokers?
Your Loving Tyrant

32_Footsteps

• Seeker of Light Orbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 11:28:46 AM »
I can name a couple of things that would have sunk Tokyopop besides that, though.  Their editing of translations has long been an issue, since back when they were Mixx.  The schedule slipping for translations also wouldn't have anything to do with licensing.  Also, in terms of licensing, they got hit rather hard when Shueisha and Shogakukan bought controlling shares in Viz Media, giving them an in-house American distribution arm (and thus not needing any outside licensing deals).

By the way, slightly related to that, I do have to wonder if the creation of Viz Pictures is affecting American anime distributors... after all, ShoPro doesn't need to license anymore to get an anime series brought over.
--

Beyond Madness & Genius - Working on our first title, Point of Descent, for Xbox Live Indie Games.

Wildfire Darkstar

• Sibling From Another Warren
  • Baby stabby boi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 12:33:17 PM »
My understanding is that the American graphic novel market, on the whole, is contracting. As I understand it, manga sales were still increasing through last year, but the rate of growth has slowed significantly. My guess (as uninformed as it may be) is that Tokyopop probably expanded its operations counting on a consistent rate of market growth and while their sales aren't exactly dropping, they're not meeting their original expectations. I do know that they've scaled back their "original English manga" line for economic reasons, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're seeing a similar pinch in their translated books, as well.

32_Footsteps

• Seeker of Light Orbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 12:56:29 PM »
To some extent, I think the market growth is slowed in part because the growth before was due to supply catching up with demand.  I think the growth of the last year or so is sustainable and what they should be shooting for.

Also, to some extent, it's also because a ton more niche series are getting released.  When you can buy official translations of Strawberry 100% and Pretty Face (the latter got canned in Japan due to insufficient readership), you know they're just throwing everything out there.  And that's not even getting into things that are heavily culturally dependent (like how they are finally doing an official release of all of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo).  I wouldn't be surprised to see a manga artist deliberately make a series with the hopes of reaching the American audience more (it'd dovetail nicely with Stan Lee contributing to a Shonen Jump series).
--