Author Topic: In-room entertainment  (Read 1327 times)

KAHighwind

• Chat Commissar
  • Lemon curry?
    • View Profile
In-room entertainment
« on: July 09, 2008, 02:36:44 AM »
It occurs to me that we haven't yet set up any sort of thread regarding in-room entertainment of the film/television series and game variety, and perhaps we should pin down some essentials, at least, in advance of the big weekend, and the identities of the people who will supply them. (Those of you who are bringing surprises - as I gather from one of his news posts John is planning to do - you needn't enumerate the entire list of goodies you are planning to bring.  Surprises are good, after all. :))

Myself, well, I could always bring some of my "Danger Mouse" DVDs again this year (even though I know Sean, at least, has them as well, and possibly a few other people in our group), or some of my bootleg "MST3K" DVDs (the five "Gamera" episodes might be of interest).  If anyone would like me to bring them, anyway.  That's probably as much as I can contribute, though - after all, I have no anime DVDs (and plan to keep it that way, thank you) and no multiplayer games (except for SMW, DKC, and SoM - and you don't want me to bring the SNES, surely).  I'll have my laptop again this year with its ROM collection, but I think such phenomena are starting to succumb to the might of Ye Virtual Console.

Presumably the ideal Nintendo system these days would be not the GamePolyhedron but rather its successor, and any games for the former system can be spun using that glorious backwards compatibility.  I presume the best person to supply said system is whosoever may transport it most easily, and is adjudged to have a tantalising VC library into the bargain.  As for Sony systems.... well, I think I'll defer to people who know more about the relative merits of the PS2 and PS3 regarding which one should be supplied this year (or even if both should be supplied if there are enough games for each system which interest people and the PS2 games are not compatible with the PS3).  Again, the ideal determining factor regarding the identity of the person to supply the system is and must ever be ease of transport.  And finally, presumably those who have a DS or a PSP or both are encouraged to bring them along with multiplayer games as applicable.

That should set the ball rolling - so who has games and DVDs in their collection they would like to bring? (I feel rather impolite asking this since I can't bring many of my own, but I'm sure we're agreed that some games and DVDs should be supplied for the evenings before people turn in for the night.)

-Kain.

Slipgate

• Immortal Camorrista
    • View Profile
Re: In-room entertainment
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 08:51:58 AM »
I haven't officially spoken to anyone else who owns a Wii, but, assuming it is treated like the delicate little flower that it is, I'd be willing to bring the Wii I own (I always try to avoid the phrase "my Wii" so that I can have normal conversations without head-scratching quotes in them). This may sound presumptuous, but I see this for a few reasons:

1) I have a good number of VC games and Wiiware games, some of which some people will likely not have tried. If I don't own some VC game that is of interest, it can easily be acquired (at perhaps the expense of the interested parties if I don't really see it as something I would play myself). People can make their requests in advance and I can make the purchases before unplugging the Wii on the Thursday before Otakon starts.
2) Due to my homebrew access, I have a good amount of other interesting stuff to do (some of them are curios, but some are quite substantial), and will likely have interesting stuff then that I'm not aware of now - a video file player on the TV that doesn't require figuring out laptop hookup to the TV, for example. Also, this would provide for emulative access on the TV that would be hard to pull off comfortably any other way. We would be able to add things if I bring my SD card reader (which I will), since for example if someone has a ROM I can put it on the SD card for us to play on the Wii. If we DO have Internet access, we can take a look at what other homebrew is available or amuse ourselves in silly ways by compiling something ourselves (as when I modified Pong to have faster balls or wrote a Hello World program for kicks). John deleted the homebrew channel, I don't know if anyone else here set it up, but I have it and should still have it a month from now. :) We could, in fact, play Super Mario World, DKC, and Secret of Mana, if we so choose.
3) In case Smash Brothers save data isn't portable to an SD card, I do at least have all the characters for Smash Brothers if not all the stages (I have several stages, I'm just missing some).

Strikes against my bringing the Wii:
1) I may not be in till later in the day Thursday. I'm not alone on this, but it's worth noting that later Thursday is the soonest mine would be accessed.
2) If Smash Brothers save data is not transferable to an SD card and someone has save data that trumps mine in some incontrovertible way.
3) Anyone spending money on a VC or Wiiware game that someone else already owns on their own Wii.

Due to the emulators and the fact that it plays Gamecube games anyway, I would agree with the assertion that the Wii is the only Nintendo system needed. I'm not sure what to say regarding PS2 vs. PS3, though. PS3 still plays DVDs, right? If so, then if someone is bringing a PS3 and it doesn't have compatibility issues with any PS2 games people would actually bring I see no reason to lug additional systems around... but if there is a unique reason for a PS2, then so be it.

Kain: The Virtual Console won't succumb to the ROM library any time soon. :) Or ever...

As for game discs and movie discs I could bring, there surely are, but it's too early for me to say what would be of true interest to others here. There is one possibility kicking around my head, though.

And bring Danger Mouse. I didn't get to see it before. :( (granted, I might fix this with my visit to you once all this insanity at home is done... but yeah)
--

Ismail "Slipgate" Saeed
AGFF Veteran, Veteran of Old TheFurryOne.net Forum

Because metal waffles don't have fur.

"Luke, you are going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

Slipgate

• Immortal Camorrista
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 11:07:43 AM »
In a comment above I mention a video file player.

There already are several, and there's a new one which may be as robust as I want it to be (I won't have time to try it until tomorrow night). I meant to imply "a robust, non-buggy video player" pending my testing of this software and any later developments on any of the media players currently under work for the Wii.

(And on the "it's not HD" note, I point out that we will be hooked up to an SDTV using a coaxial cable. I think the Wii's playback is as good as any we'll get. :) )
--

Ismail "Slipgate" Saeed

"Luke, you are going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

Wildfire Darkstar

• Sibling From Another Warren
  • Baby stabby boi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 11:39:58 AM »
I can volunteer either my PS2 or Xbox 360, but probably not both. The real benefit of the 360 would probably be Rock Band and my collection of DLC songs. Don't count on my being able to bring the drum set, though I might be able to bring two guitars. I can probably also bring my old portable music / video player, which handles most DivX / MPEG-4 videos well enough, and the composite cables to hook it up to the TV.

Also, Kain, if you don't want to lug the Danger Mouse DVDs, I do have the full set now. And the first season of Count Duckula.

KAHighwind

• Chat Commissar
  • Lemon curry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 01:57:16 PM »
Also, Kain, if you don't want to lug the Danger Mouse DVDs, I do have the full set now. And the first season of Count Duckula.
The "Danger Mouse" DVDs shouldn't be a problem, although in the interests of both time and space I'll probably just bring one of the sets (either Seasons 1-2 or Seasons 3-4, which in my mind covers the strongest years of the series).  I would like to request the first season of "Duckula", though.  Ah, memories.... :)

-Kain.

Katyanna

• Licensed Spacecraft Pilot
  • Waaaiiiiifffuuuuu! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 02:14:05 PM »
We could probably bring our Wii, if needed, given that we are driving, and we may well bring it at any rate given that we're taking a long way back to see people who we'll likely be playing with on stops anyway. That said, I can say we'll have inventories that include several Virtual Console games, though likely not as many as Slipgate. I know we'll have Smash with us, as well as Mario Kart and a full compliment of Gamecube controllers, if not wheels, Super Swing Golf, which is much more fun than it has a right to be, Mario Party 8, and probably Rayman Raving Rabbids, if only because Andrew likes how silly it is.

"At this point the horse has left the barn, crossed the border and is drinking a deadly cocktail on a beach somewhere tropical." -Richard Clark, Medium.com writer on the Heartbleed exploit

TheFurryOne

• Forum Tyrant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 02:46:02 PM »
I can bring games and a handful of controllers for pretty much any system, though obviously the Rock Band gear is going to have to stay home-- I simply don't have a suitcase big enough for the drums, otherwise I'd bring them.  I might be able to squeeze the 360 GH3 guitar into my bag; we shall, as always, see.

Games I'm able to bring:
We Ski (Wii)
Puyo Pop Fever (GC)
Soul Calibur II (GC)
Pokemon Battle Revolution (Wii) -- this one probably not so much
The contents of the GBA Bag, the DS Bag, and the PSP Bag

If there's anything anyone saw on the Collection page they want me to bring, say the word.
Your Loving Tyrant

Slipgate

• Immortal Camorrista
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 03:05:54 PM »
What do you have on the VC/Wiiware, Kat? And you, John?

(I'll post my own list when I get the chance, which is not likely to be today)
--

Ismail "Slipgate" Saeed

Katyanna

• Waaaiiiiifffuuuuu! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 01:46:14 AM »
Did we ever figure out if a PS2 would be necessary? Barbie is volunteering hers if one is needed, by which I mean she's volunteering for Andrew and I to haul it there for her. ;P

And to finally answer Slip's question, we have the following on VC:

Blazing Lazers
Ninja Gaiden 2
Starfox 64
Actraiser
Mario Kart 64
Super Street Fighter 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
River City Ransom
Zelda LttP
Protothea
Dr. Mario
Altered Beast
Bubble Bobble
Phantasy Star 3
"At this point the horse has left the barn, crossed the border and is drinking a deadly cocktail on a beach somewhere tropical." -Richard Clark, Medium.com writer on the Heartbleed exploit

Slipgate

• Immortal Camorrista
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 09:29:57 AM »
It doesn't sound like any of us are bringing an XBox 360 or a PS3. Am I wrong?

If so, a PS2 should be brought. There are games we may play, AND there is the DVD playing. I can bring the PS2 if we ultimately decide I'm not bringing my Wii; OR, if we decide I'm bringing my Wii, you guys can bring the PS2.

You have an insane load of VC games considering Eye once told me he wasn't grabbing SMB3 on VC because he'd just play on an emulator :).

I'm at work now, but I'll get around to listing what I have. It's kind of hard to decide what makes the most sense: You guys have badass VC and Wiiware games. I have (or at least I'd like to think I have) some good ones too (a recent one being Gyrostarr, which is great arcade-style stuff that we don't have to spend forever explaining how to play and can just play), and on-TV emulators for portable systems and the SNES (I'm playing FF5 at the moment). That VC load of yours is really, really good though.

I can effectively have Ninja Gaiden 2, Actraiser, SSF2, Sonic 2, River City Ransom, Zelda LttP, Altered Beast, Bubble Bobble, and Phantasy Star 3 available on my Wii if people want to play them. Less certain about Blazing Lasers (if it's TG16, I can; if it's Turbo Duo, I have to check) or N64 games (there is an N64 emulator, but I haven't checked how great a shape it is in). I have Dr. Mario; don't have Protothea; I have Star Soldier R, Gyrostarr, and Lost Winds, as well as Gate of Thunder, Lolo 1 and 2, Wonder Boy, Fantasy Zone, Sin and Punishment, Milon's Secret Castle 2, SMB2j (The Lost Levels), Ninja Jajamaru-kun, and more that I'd need to check at home.

I was about to ask about retail games but then realized that wasn't a decider since people can bring their retail games regardless of whose Wii it is.
--

Ismail "Slipgate" Saeed

Slipgate

• Immortal Camorrista
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 11:00:27 PM »
Okay, so I sat down and evaluated everything I have on the Wii.

.... The results of my evaluation are that the Shop Channel has received considerable amounts of money from me. :)

All right... I'm just putting down what would be possible with my Wii here. I'm not trying to force the issue and say "it must be mine which is used." I'm offering to bring it, and it may be easier for me considering I have far less travel distance than Kat and Andrew do. However, they may ALSO have their Wii on hand anyway - but whether they need to hook it up or not rests on whether I bring mine :).

Okay, here's what I have in sum total:

Atypical Wii channels:
1) Internet Channel (since it doesn't come standard - though it might not be usable without agreeing to the wifi rates of the hotel)
2) Nintendo Channel (if the 'Net works, people who have DS's can download DS demos)
3) Homebrew Channel - Will revisit the topic of homebrew in a separate list.

Wiiware and VC games:
1) Lost Winds
2) Defend Your Castle!
3) Star Soldier R
4) Gyrostarr
5) Dr. Mario Online RX
6) The Adventures of Lolo (1)
7) The Adventures of Lolo 2
8) F-Zero X
9) Wonder Boy
10) Fantasy Zone
11) Super Mario Brothers 2j ("The Lost Levels" original NES version)
12) Ninja Jajamaru-kun
13) Harvest Moon (SNES)
14) Milon's Secret Castle 2 (SNES sequel to NES game; this wasn't released here)
15) Gate of Thunder
16) Sin & Punishment
17) World Heroes
18) Gunstar Heroes
19) Neutopia

PLEASE nobody calculate how much money I may have spent... I don't want to know. :)

Retail Wii and GC games:
1) Wii Sports
2) Wii Play
3) Mario Party 8
4) Super Smash Brothers Brawl - We all know this will be the most-played title of the weekend, so let me say right here that I have ALL the characters but only MOST of the stages. I think that's good enough as a savegame for our purposes - character variety is far more important than stage variety - but I will doff my cap to anyone whose save shames mine - though saves in Smash aren't copy-friendly, so it will generally have to be the save of the person whose Wii we use that we, er, use.
5) Super Mario Galaxy
6) Various GC games - not sure which I'll bring

GC and Wii equipment I can bring (in conjunction with others - i.e. I won't bring 4 GC controllers if someone else is bringing two... I'll just bring 2):
1) Two Wii remotes
2) Two Wii nunchuks
3) 1 Classic Controller
4) 4 Gamecube Controllers

Homebrew available at the moment (possible to be added to, and defined broadly rather than naming every specific application):
1) Media players for video files (can be good, saves us needing to figure out how to hook laptop up to TV - will need files to be stored on my SD card (I'll bring my USB reader) in order to guarantee play at good speed, though... this may be applicable to something like Top Gear, or to fansubbed anime... I can vouch for the quality of these players - I've actually started using them here and there. Certain files will throw up, obviously, but I have yet to encounter one that does).
2) NES emulation - I don't own anything special here - I can take requests, not for the sake of piracy, but in order to help mirror anyone else's VC collection so as to not force multiple Wiis to play games one of us has). I don't have anything worth talking about here... well okay, I do have FF3 and Mega Man 3, but they were just testing it to work.
3) Region-free Wii discs use (i.e. a European or Japanese disc would run - this will not run copies)
4) Various diversions:
   a) Wii port of Duck Hunt
   b) Multiplayer Asteroids
   c) Matching Cards
   d) Missile Command
   e) PONG
   f) Scogger (a frog puzzle game, completely unlike Frogger)
   g) Simon (the memory color puzzle game)
   h) Snake (like Nibbles back in QBasic but with badass music)
   i) Wii-Tac-Toe
   j) Wii Poker
   k) Ballion (badass ball game)
   l) chess
   m) Minesweeper
5) SNES9x - see about NES emulation above - I am willing to take peoples' requests - not for piracy, but to help mirror collections for the weekend. I use this right now to play FF5.
6) VBA - Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and Gameboy Advance emulation. I have the DOOMs, Zeldas, Metroids, and Mega Man Zero most chiefly here, but like with the other emulators I will take requests (and for the same reasons). PROVIDING your request is pleaded here - I can get my hands on any NES or SNES ROM easily but not so with the portables
7) MAME - ditto other emulators. This MAME port, at least for me at the moment, throws up a lot, so there's no guarantees it'll do what you want.
8) Quake - THIS is what I launch to completely surprise people. It literally is Quake. Boots up like it, too. People are immediately impressed at the homebrew possibilities.
9) Tetris
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 11:02:47 PM by Slipgate »
--

Ismail "Slipgate" Saeed

Wildfire Darkstar

• Baby stabby boi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 12:25:24 AM »
My Wii isn't really in the running, since I've spent no money on anything WiiWare or Virtual Console (and haven't been tempted to do so, either). If we need any additional remotes or nunchuks, though, I've got a couple I can bring.

Beyond that, I've got my Xbox 360, which does have a fair amount of Xbox Live Arcade content. Off the top of my head, I know I have Root Beer Tapper, Pac-Man CE, and TMNT arcade. There's more, but I'm not sure how much of it will be of general interest. Also, I've got a fairly significant selection of Rock Band DLC songs going, too. I'll bring at least one guitar controller and the microphone. Is there any interest in the drums? It would be fun to get a band going, but if there's no interest, I won't lug the things along.

Also, I'm bringing my laptop along with me, and it does have a built-in SD card port, so that can be used for transferring things to/from Slipgate's card. And I should also have my TV hookup cables for the laptop.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 12:33:17 AM by Wildfire Darkstar »

TheFurryOne

• Forum Tyrant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 07:37:39 AM »
OK, a quick reminder to folks (like me) who use atypical Brawl controller schemes-- you can save your named profile to your Wiimote, and transfer it as needed to whichever Wii is in use.  I'll also bring along my Classic Controller and a couple of nunchucks.

I feel a little bad that, as I'm not driving this year, I wouldn't be able to bring my 360-- it could complement Sean's list quite nicely (of interest: Ikaruga, Triggerheart Exelica, possibly Geometry Wars; also a shit-ton of Rock Band DLC-- The Who set, the Harmonix set).  I'll contemplate bringing along my hard drive, though unfortunately it would only be of any use if a) Sean brings a 360 and b) there's wired Net access available-- as it's not the 'native' 360, I would need to be signed in to Live to authenticate the scads of DLC stuff on it.  I imagine that what I spent on the Xbox Marketplace easily rivals what Slip spent on the Wii Shop, so...  :)

I have yet to pack, so maybe I could try to bring my Wii-- it has the benefit of being easily transportable, depending on if I decide to use the big suitcase or not.  Here's the general rundown of what's on it:
1) Smash Brawl save with all characters and stages unlocked.
2) Mario Kart Wii save with (under Rick's profile) I think all characters unlocked. 
3) VC games (some of these are on the SD card): SimCity, Fantasy Zone, Alex Kidd, Kirby (NES), Starfox 64, Paper Mario, Startropics, Gunstar Heroes, Solomon's Key, Sin & Punishment, Pinball, Kid Icarus, River City Ransom.  (Possibly others-- not sure right now)
4) WiiWare: My Pokemon Ranch. 

About the only benefit that my Wii has is the unlocked stages for Brawl and the unlocked characters for MK.  If it's considered that big of a deal, I won't mind making an effort-- I should be starting to get stuff together by the beginning of next week.

As far as extra gear, I could probably bring up to 4 Wiimotes, 2 nunchucks, and one classic controller plus the Big Bin O Batteries.  (I still haven't depleted the batteries I bought for last year!  ...though it is getting a little low.) 

I think the best way to handle this would be as follows: (this assumes that those with DSes/PSPs are bringing them regardless)

Kat and Andrew: PS2 (Barbie's), gear/games
Ismail: Wii (possibly?), gear/games
Sean: 360 (possibly?), gear/games
John: Wii (possibly?), 360 HDD (possibly?), gear/games

Oh yeah, one last thing.  Make sure that you know a) what you bring and b) you have some way of identifying what's yours; and c) we check consoles for discs before packing up Sunday morning.

This sound good?
Your Loving Tyrant

Slipgate

• Immortal Camorrista
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 09:38:48 AM »
My Wii isn't really in the running, since I've spent no money on anything WiiWare or Virtual Console (and haven't been tempted to do so, either). If we need any additional remotes or nunchuks, though, I've got a couple I can bring.

Beyond that, I've got my Xbox 360, which does have a fair amount of Xbox Live Arcade content. Off the top of my head, I know I have Root Beer Tapper, Pac-Man CE, and TMNT arcade. There's more, but I'm not sure how much of it will be of general interest. Also, I've got a fairly significant selection of Rock Band DLC songs going, too. I'll bring at least one guitar controller and the microphone. Is there any interest in the drums? It would be fun to get a band going, but if there's no interest, I won't lug the things along.

Also, I'm bringing my laptop along with me, and it does have a built-in SD card port, so that can be used for transferring things to/from Slipgate's card. And I should also have my TV hookup cables for the laptop.

Considering how much time will be spent with Brawl and Mario Kart, I'm not sure how much VC or Wiiware stuff will get used either. I am of the opinion that Defend Your Castle! and Gyrostarr would fit us well, though. Fun for the sake of fun in games we might actually play (as opposed to certain other Wii titles we're certainly not going to bother with).

An XBox 360 is a great idea - I mentioned earlier that I wasn't sure anyone had one or was bringing one. XBox Live Arcade content is more interesting to me than retail XBox discs anyway. As for Rock Band, I'm VERY interested, but I have to ask how feasible it is when we're in a hotel room at night while keeping others awake. (Us talking and playing our own games is one thing, but something like Rock Band or Guitar Hero gives me pause)... I wish I could play Rock Band, I just don't know if it's a good idea in a hotel. If it's not that obtrusive to play in such an area, then most certainly bring it. Then again... maybe the guitar and microphone wouldn't be too bad, if we were careful about it.

Further question about your 360: Will it play video files? Do you have that update? Where if you stick a disc in with AVIs etc., it would be willing to play them?

If we DO have TV hookup cables for the laptop, or an XBox 360 that plays media files, that might still be better than my Wii media players - because otherwise you'd be USING the laptop to transfer to an SD card and THEN using the SD card to play on the Wii when the original file is accessible from the laptop or the 360 anyway.

Just making sure we don't needlessly reinvent the wheel - a laptop with TV hookups is going to be faster than taking files from the laptop to something else, after all.

As far as this goes, my Wii isn't going to be much different from anyone else's if we are neither playing any of the VC/Wiiware OR using any of the homebrew. I'm likely to at least want to show you all some of the homebrew or the Wiiware, but I'm just saying that practically speaking if someone else is bringing their Wii and the only things they don't have that I do are things we won't use... then we may as well not bring multiples.

Anyway, the offer about the Wii is there. I'll bring STUFF for a PS2 but I won't bring my PS2. My main thing about the PS2 is that we should have something that plays DVDs. If an XBox 360 already does, then we really need to look at whether we'll play anything on the PS2... nothing against it, but we don't need to bring luggage we don't need. :)

Anyway, I'm willing to bring the Wii. Even if it's someone else's Wii we use instead, I'm willing to bring gear. If a PS2 is being brought, then I'm willing to bring PS2 gear.

I'm tempted to bring my NES, but its jawsome collection of games is larger in physical size than the entirety of my luggage in previous years at Otakon. And I could probably have an NES emulator stand in for it by using ROMs of the same games. :)

I had to laugh at the "check consoles for discs" thing. Let me add a note to that: Check the cases you bring! It's one thing to repeat the thing Sean and I did, where I sent back his MM Anniversary Collection... it's another to want to show John Elfen Lied and bring an empty DVD case to the con. :P
--

Ismail "Slipgate" Saeed

TheFurryOne

• Forum Tyrant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 10:18:36 AM »
The 360 plays DVDs natively; it needs to be connected to a Windows Media Center PC (or equivalent) in order to stream other file types.  I suspect your HB-Wii would be the best "anything" file player.

I'd offer to bring my PS3 but a) it is, in fact, bigger than the 360 and b) I have no blu-ray movies to play on it, nor do I foresee a dire, burning need for it.
Your Loving Tyrant

Slipgate

• Immortal Camorrista
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 11:12:18 AM »
The 360 plays DVDs natively; it needs to be connected to a Windows Media Center PC (or equivalent) in order to stream other file types.  I suspect your HB-Wii would be the best "anything" file player.

I'd offer to bring my PS3 but a) it is, in fact, bigger than the 360 and b) I have no blu-ray movies to play on it, nor do I foresee a dire, burning need for it.

So that would rule out the 360, but doesn't quite rule out the laptop yet. Anyway, if I'm bringing my Wii, then my Wii's there, whether that aspect gets used or not.

Kain: What format are the Top Gear files?
--

Ismail "Slipgate" Saeed

Katyanna

• Waaaiiiiifffuuuuu! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 11:47:25 AM »
Top Gear is full of funny and awesome. ;P

It's a British show about cars, with often, hilarious results.

TheFurryOne

• Forum Tyrant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 11:51:40 AM »
Oh, indeed...  I've only caught one or two episodes, but it is definitely something I try to make time for.  (I'm not always successful...)
Your Loving Tyrant

Slipgate

• Immortal Camorrista
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
All the more reason for us to watch them, then. :) But what format are the files? :)
--

Ismail "Slipgate" Saeed

Grey

• Has Made ~Contact~
  • (-:?
    • View Profile
    • GamesofGrey
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 12:00:31 PM »
*butts in*  The current season of Top Gear can be watched through the BBC iPlayer for free, if you have net access there.  If you don't then it's a great way to watch them at home  :P  Been some great episodes so far, including one where they try to make a Robin Reliant into a space shuttle.

TheFurryOne

• Forum Tyrant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 12:27:53 PM »
.....I have to see that one.

Only problem is, I think the iPlayer is restricted to UK IPs.  And more than that, I think that any hotel WiFi is going to be ridiculously overloaded-- at least it was last year, when Slip and I tried to see bits of EL via YouTube.  Thanks for the offer, though.
Your Loving Tyrant

KAHighwind

• Chat Commissar
  • Lemon curry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 02:27:32 PM »
John is correct - streaming "Top Gear" directly through the BBC website can only be done in the UK, since the BBC itself is paid for by the UK taxpayers.  However, I have complete sets of AVIs of Seasons 5-11 (or what has so far been broadcast of 11 - five of six episodes, with the sixth airing this coming Sunday), and I can verify that they run on my newer laptop (the one I actually use as a portable rather than the one with the decaying LCD which I daren't remove from my desk), so if we can hook it up to the television (using Sean's leads, I presume), we can watch them that way.

As Grey says, the segment featuring James May and Richard Hammond's attempts to persuade the UK Rocketry Association to convert a Robin Reliant (a famously unstable three-wheeled car, an example of which is frequently seen being tipped over in episodes of "Mr. Bean" but which is more famous to UK viewers as the Trotters' vehicle of choice in "Only Fools and Horses", a 1980s sitcom starring David "voice of Danger Mouse" Jason) into a space shuttle is a classic, but there are also the two episodes where they try to make amphibious cars, the America special, the Africa special, the North Pole special, any episode featuring a cheap car challenge (the #100 car-any-car challenge, the #1500 Porsche challenge, the #1500 non-Porsche 2-door coupe challenge, the #10000 Italian supercar challenge, the #1000 white van challenge, the #1000 British Leyland challenge, and the #1500 Alfa-Romeo challenge), any episode featuring a race between a car and either public transport or some sort of athlete (in the former case the car always wins, in the latter case the car always loses), and so on, and so on.  I'll just bring the complete collection and see what people fancy watching if time permits.  I can particularly recommend the Africa special, the first amphibious car episode, and the British Leyland challenge (let me just say this: British Leyland, a conglomerate of UK car makers in the 1960s and 1970s, were notorious for making cars that were very badly put together, so that pieces frequently fell off or otherwise ceased functioning, and there is plenty of that in this episode).

So yeah, I'll bring those as well as the "Danger Mouse" DVDs.  Might make a nice change of pace from the predominantly Japanese viewing options. :)

-Kain.

Grey

• Has Made ~Contact~
  • (-:?
    • View Profile
    • GamesofGrey
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 02:30:59 PM »
You forgot to mention the DIY convertible people carrier...  But yeah, loads of good stuff throughout the many series that will entertain all.  I'd also stick forth the recommendation that someone download and bring Garth Marenghi's Darkplace - would take it myself and force you all to watch if I was attending  :)

KAHighwind

• Chat Commissar
  • Lemon curry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 02:55:59 PM »
You forgot to mention the DIY convertible people carrier...  But yeah, loads of good stuff throughout the many series that will entertain all.
Ah yes, I should have mentioned that - I actually showed a brief excerpt from that episode two years ago, when the conversation in the room had somehow turned to the topic of animal copulation (don't ask, not only do I not remember but I don't think I want to remember), and you may remember that the drive through Woburn Abbey Safari Park includes a sighting of a lion mounting a lioness (which nevertheless eased the presenters' concerns that the lionesses might decide to open the Espace's fabric roof and help themselves to a spot of lunch).  However, the entire segment is worth seeing from start to finish. :)

-Kain.

Wildfire Darkstar

• Baby stabby boi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 03:36:02 PM »
The 360 plays DVDs natively; it needs to be connected to a Windows Media Center PC (or equivalent) in order to stream other file types.  I suspect your HB-Wii would be the best "anything" file player
My laptop can be hooked up to the 360, and I could, if needed, bring a router to get the network going. It's not the most straightforward solution, though, and we're probably better either hooking the laptop directly up to the TV, or using the Wii.

Oh, and Top Gear is indeed awesome. As, for that matter, is BBC's iPlayer, or at least the little I got to use of it when I had VPN access to a UK IP address.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:38:00 PM by Wildfire Darkstar »