Author Topic: Travel Arrangements  (Read 1210 times)

KAHighwind

• Chat Commissar
  • Lemon curry?
    • View Profile
Travel Arrangements
« on: June 24, 2008, 04:28:32 PM »
With convention weekend just a month and a half away, I thought perhaps a thread co-ordinating travel arrangements might be in order, not least as I've finally managed to get around to booking my flight (glad I waited, actually, as it only cost $236 - might have dropped further still had I waited a bit longer, but then again it might have gone up as well).  So here are my arrival and departure times:

Arriving Thursday 7 August on Delta Flight 690 - leave ATL 11:00am, arrive BWI 12:50pm.
Departing Sunday 10 August on Delta Flight 739 - leave BWI 5:25pm, arrive ATL 7:25pm.

Angela, if you're reading this, I don't know if you and Simon have already booked your flights, and if not, if you want to use the above information in any way, but it's there if you're interested.

So if anyone else knows their flight information, or train information, or when they expect to arrive by car, or foot, or bicycle, or ocean liner, or Harrier jump jet, or personal jetpack, or whatever, this is the thread in which to post it.  In fact, even if you don't yet know the precise times but do know the method of transportation you'll be using, this is the thread in which to post it. (Obviously we'll take it as given that Slip and Sean (and Patrick if he's still going this year) won't need to make decisions about transport and timing until much nearer the time since they don't have far to go.)

(Regarding the hotel: no, still nothing, but I'm starting to think I might have better luck if I started phoning the Radisson reservation line instead of going through travel websites, as travel websites don't let you at the convention block of rooms.  I phoned them last week; I'll try again tonight, I suppose.

EDIT: And so I did.  Care to guess the result? :P)

-Kain.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 03:30:22 PM by KAHighwind »

Slipgate

• Immortal Camorrista
    • View Profile
Re: Travel Arrangements
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 05:04:25 PM »
I'll need to factor in parking... what is the parking cost? and, it would seem, a Japanese class session that I might either attend or skip. Would much rather not skip it since it's one of only 8.

Ah, these are the days of our lives...

Actually, hold the phone - is there a mass transit solution (using Metro in part) to get me to the BCC? Rick came the other direction before, so he would know... If so, I could technically just use that and leave my car parked at Dunn Loring station... though that doesn't sound so appealing. Hmm.
--

Ismail "Slipgate" Saeed
AGFF Veteran, Veteran of Old TheFurryOne.net Forum

Because metal waffles don't have fur.

"Luke, you are going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

TheFurryOne

• Forum Tyrant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 07:38:10 PM »
OK, here's my times:

August 7th (Thursday): Depart PIT 1:05p, Arrive BWI 2:05p.
August 10th (Sunday): Depart BWI 6:50p, Arrive PIT 7:50p.

Slip:  Assuming you're leaving the car in the hotel garage the entire time, parking can be relatively cheap; I don't think I ever paid more than about $40 total, though obviously I suggest you call the hotel lot and confirm.  I probably wouldn't recommend leaving your car for three days at a Park and Ride-type station, though if it's a dedicated bus terminal or something, I'm sure there might be an extended-stay section or something.  (I'm nervous enough about leaving my car at the airport lot, to the point where I'm seriously considering taking the bus to the airport.  This will probably be a Bad Idea but we shall see.)

Also: my phone number might be changing soon.  I'll keep you all advised.
Your Loving Tyrant

Lord_Craxton

• Greater Child Of The Cottontail
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 03:53:25 PM »
Right now the plan is still for me to drive down from New York, potentially picking up anyone else who needs a lift. Right now there are a couple of friends in the city who might be making the trip with me. Rick was signed up- if he still wants to come, that's fine by me.
"Yes, ninety percent would never get finished, and ninety percent of the rest would suck. That's the way it always works. That's how you get stuff that kicks ass."
-Andrew Plotkin

Katyanna

• Licensed Spacecraft Pilot
  • Waaaiiiiifffuuuuu! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 06:36:23 PM »
As most of you know, we're planning on moving following the con. Right now, as stated previously, we are driving to the con. We plan to leave the 3rd and spend a couple days with Andrew's family en route to the con (only a couple days because Barbie would likely drive them crazy any longer than that. Common occurrence resulting from prolonged exposure to her. ;P). We've looked at an initial mapquest to Baltimore from there which shows it to be a 10 hour drive, so we're planning to leave from there early Thursday morning, which should put us into Baltimore between 4-6 Thursday evening. That's probably a horrible time of day to be hitting the DC area, but near as I can tell over the last several years, there really is no GOOD time of day to be going through DC, so not much to be done for it.

I'll be looking at the route Mapquest suggests and likely be refining it as we get closer. Not least because I have to take into account further planning for the return trip which will include stops to see other people.
"At this point the horse has left the barn, crossed the border and is drinking a deadly cocktail on a beach somewhere tropical." -Richard Clark, Medium.com writer on the Heartbleed exploit

Slipgate

• Immortal Camorrista
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 06:43:52 PM »
That's probably a horrible time of day to be hitting the DC area, but near as I can tell over the last several years, there really is no GOOD time of day to be going through DC, so not much to be done for it.

I resemble that remark!

But DC traffic is bad, yeah. :P
--

Ismail "Slipgate" Saeed

"Luke, you are going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

goescrunch

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 03:48:11 PM »
We'll be getting in late. Arriving Baltimore/Washington, MD (BWI) at 07:13 PM

Also, Psi joined here the other day, so expect him to get access soon. Yay!

TheFurryOne

• Forum Tyrant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 03:53:57 PM »
I did grant him access to the IC, so it should be a matter of time.  (If he still can't get in, let me know.)
Your Loving Tyrant

KAHighwind

• Chat Commissar
  • Lemon curry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 03:37:24 PM »
Right, so here's the schedule of arrivals so far known in rough chronological order (for the flyers, anyway; the drivers' arrival times are obviously, erm, up in the air):

Kain, Barbara, Wyvern: 12:50pm, ATL-BWI
Sean: ~1:00pm, local transport to BWI
John: 2:05pm, PIT-BWI
Crax: Afternoon, driving (or being driven) to hotel
Kathy, Glazer, Lance: Afternoon, driving to hotel
Slip, Kris: Afternoon, driving to hotel
Angela, Simon: 7:13pm, ATL-BWI

-Kain.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 12:42:44 PM by KAHighwind »

Wildfire Darkstar

• Sibling From Another Warren
  • Baby stabby boi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 03:42:19 PM »
Well, I've completed my relocation to Greenbelt, which has the added benefit of putting me much, much closer to the Greenbelt Metro station and, more importantly, the Greenbelt/BWI shuttle bus. Which means that the trek into Baltimore should be much less stressful than in past years, since I don't need to worry about the subway leg of the trip.

As before, I'll be taking off from work on Thursday and Friday. Looking at other people's arrival times, I guess I'll aim for getting to BWI around 1:00 Thursday afternoon to meet up with Kain.

As a friendly reminder to people arriving at BWI, be sure to bring bills in small denominations in order to get passes for the light rail. I think I still have some leftover quarters from two years ago, and there aren't enough video arcades around these days in which to use them  ;)

Slipgate

• Immortal Camorrista
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 03:48:31 PM »
Because of my class, I might be in later unless I skip the class. I was planning on calling Rahim this weekend after he'd had opportunity to see his availability.

I doubt it would be hard for Kris to come. If he didn't want to wait for me, he could certainly get transportation there.

It's all a little uncertain to me because of my class right now. What is certain is that I'm taking leave on Thursday and Friday, and at least will prepare Thursday morning for my later arrival.
--

Ismail "Slipgate" Saeed

Katyanna

• Waaaiiiiifffuuuuu! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 12:38:55 AM »
Due to some unforeseen scheduling conflicts (i.e. Barbie's dance team instructor has put in some restrictions regarding the number of days missed for team members) we're having to fly Barbie in for the con. I'm arranging for her to be on the same flight as Kain, so that she can get into the Harbor with someone who's been there and done that a few times. We'll probably be looking at adjusting what time we intend to arrive at the con as a result as well.

"At this point the horse has left the barn, crossed the border and is drinking a deadly cocktail on a beach somewhere tropical." -Richard Clark, Medium.com writer on the Heartbleed exploit

KAHighwind

• Chat Commissar
  • Lemon curry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 02:17:27 AM »
Because of my class, I might be in later unless I skip the class. I was planning on calling Rahim this weekend after he'd had opportunity to see his availability.

I doubt it would be hard for Kris to come. If he didn't want to wait for me, he could certainly get transportation there.
Well, do please keep us posted as to Rahim's arrangements (including the certainty or lack thereof of his attendance); as for Kris' and your own, I presume from the preceding quote that, unless he grows particularly impatient, Kris will be coming in at the same time as you, which will probably entail an afternoon arrival.

Due to some unforeseen scheduling conflicts (i.e. Barbie's dance team instructor has put in some restrictions regarding the number of days missed for team members) we're having to fly Barbie in for the con. I'm arranging for her to be on the same flight as Kain, so that she can get into the Harbor with someone who's been there and done that a few times. We'll probably be looking at adjusting what time we intend to arrive at the con as a result as well.
Well, do please keep us posted as to whether or not you are able to get Barbara on the same flight as I (I presume from the above quote that you are planning to put her on the same flight but have not yet done so); will she be flying back, or returning by car with you and Glazer?  Either way, I'll be sure to look after her until you arrive, unless you somehow manage to get to Baltimore before the flight lands and thus are able to be at the airport by 12:50pm.  I presume she'll be flying out of Pensacola rather early - if she will be on the same flight from Atlanta to Baltimore as I will, I'll make a point of getting to the airport in time to meet her inbound flight (given that I'll be printing my boarding pass the night before and not checking any bags I only need to allow myself time to clear security, but I can arrive sooner if need be).

Seems as though Gid hasn't set anything in stone yet - he'll need to be quick about it, air fares are climbing fast (unless he wants to fly out or fly back at 5am).  If anyone knows anything about Wyvern's arrangements, please speak forth.  And Kathy and/or Glazer, what of.... is it your mate Lance (the Emory alumnus, yes?) who will be joining us this year?  Has he made his travel arrangements?

-Kain.

Slipgate

• Immortal Camorrista
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 08:36:31 AM »

Well, do please keep us posted as to Rahim's arrangements (including the certainty or lack thereof of his attendance); as for Kris' and your own, I presume from the preceding quote that, unless he grows particularly impatient, Kris will be coming in at the same time as you, which will probably entail an afternoon arrival.

If Rahim is coming, he'd be coming with me as well. I left him a message because of the fact that this Friday is the registration deadline if you don't want the price hiked on you.

Let me repeat that, larger.

This Friday is the registration deadline if you don't want to pay door price. (Just so people notice this statement, see)

Well, do please keep us posted as to whether or not you are able to get Barbara on the same flight as I (I presume from the above quote that you are planning to put her on the same flight but have not yet done so); will she be flying back, or returning by car with you and Glazer?  Either way, I'll be sure to look after her until you arrive, unless you somehow manage to get to Baltimore before the flight lands and thus are able to be at the airport by 12:50pm.  I presume she'll be flying out of Pensacola rather early - if she will be on the same flight from Atlanta to Baltimore as I will, I'll make a point of getting to the airport in time to meet her inbound flight (given that I'll be printing my boarding pass the night before and not checking any bags I only need to allow myself time to clear security, but I can arrive sooner if need be).

Seems as though Gid hasn't set anything in stone yet - he'll need to be quick about it, air fares are climbing fast (unless he wants to fly out or fly back at 5am).  If anyone knows anything about Wyvern's arrangements, please speak forth.  And Kathy and/or Glazer, what of.... is it your mate Lance (the Emory alumnus, yes?) who will be joining us this year?  Has he made his travel arrangements?

-Kain.
And Gid should probably be informed of this Friday as well, as well as how he should look at a flight. I spoke to Wyvern last night in a guest-related conversation, and although we didn't talk plannings it seemed clear to me in context that he would be there, at least - who knows who with.
--

Ismail "Slipgate" Saeed

Katyanna

• Waaaiiiiifffuuuuu! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 02:00:28 PM »
I did indeed get Barbie on the same flights as Kain (inbound and outbound). She'll be departing Pensacola about 7:15 in the morning, central time, and then be catching up with you Kain at the gate for your flight.

I am talking to Lance. He's still planning on attending, but I think I've caught him at a bad time as he's not keeping up a very good dialog on on AIM, so I'll let you all know what his status is when I know.

KAHighwind

• Chat Commissar
  • Lemon curry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »
I did indeed get Barbie on the same flights as Kain (inbound and outbound). She'll be departing Pensacola about 7:15 in the morning, central time, and then be catching up with you Kain at the gate for your flight.
So let's see, that means she flies into Hartsfield at.... *checks websites* 9:30am.  If you wish, I can aim to be at Hartsfield before then to meet her flight form Pensacola and/or ensure that she is safely aboard the flight back to Pensacola on Sunday.  Let me know either way. (If Orbitz is anything to go on, the air fare was around the $350 mark.  Not exceptional, perhaps, but not bad either.) Keep us posted regarding Lance's status as well.

-Kain.

Wyvern

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 05:31:56 PM »
I arrive in Baltimore at around 1 PM (after a two hour layover in Atlanta, arrrgh) on Delta Flight 690. So I figure I'll be at the hotel no later than 2, barring delays.

On Sunday, I fly out at 5:25, so I'll probably need to leave the hotel no later than 3 or so.

Katyanna

• Waaaiiiiifffuuuuu! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 05:41:36 PM »
LOL. I'm pretty sure those are the same flights that Kain and Barbie will be on. So you guys will have a fun flight. ^_^

KAHighwind

• Chat Commissar
  • Lemon curry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 10:44:55 PM »
Those are indeed the same flights between Atlanta and Baltimore which the younger Miss Koha and I will be taking; as the elder Miss Koha says, it should be an.... interesting flight, to say the least. :) Thanks for letting us know both that you will be attending and what your flights are, Wyv - all that remains is to say, see you in three weeks!

-Kain.

Slipgate

• Immortal Camorrista
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 02:56:49 PM »
Damn, I envy that I won't be on that flight. Actually having friends I know on a plane with me - I've never had that.

Was Wyv one of our 16, or does this put us at 17 possible?

Kris is confirmed. Rahim won't know yet for a bit but keep him a pencil-in.

And I have a serious question.

Last night I went to PLAY! in Baltimore, just near the BCC (in fact, I passed by the BCC repeatedly as I sought parking). While the show was awesome, the trip in and trip out was not.

See, PLAY! was set to start at 8 pm. Traffic to Baltimore gets horrible at 3 pm - before that it's not bad. I left at like 3:30, but I wasn't worried about it taking oh say two and a half hours instead of one and a half hour... I was calm in the car and just listened to music patiently with the AC on.

Things became less calm when it was around 6:30 that I finally reached the neck of the woods we walk around in for Otakon, AKA the Inner Harbor. And less calm still when I repeatedly tried to find the place PLAY! was at, and the mythical parking garage across the street from it, and ended up just circling the vicinity without finding what I needed, then ending up having to circle back on the one-way streets back to the BCC to try the directions to the place again. Eventually I gave up, pulled into the first random public parking I found (we're now at 7:00) and got a pickup from the folks who I was going to go with (who had come separately to Baltimore and were installed in a hotel because they were taking a trip and not just going to PLAY!). It's now 7:30. Traffic is horrendous, to the point that it's 7:45 as we NEAR the building we need to go to. Long line to get in and it's 7:51, so food was pretty much not going to happen.

When we left, after I did finally hunt down the parking garage I'd randomly pulled into and pulled out of my space, it was like 12:15. On the way back I took the wrong *95 road at first and thus I was heading in the right cardinal direction but on a very different road. It would've been an hour's trip if I'd found the right road. Instead, it was essentially 2 AM when I got home.

One thing was good was reacquainting myself briefly with the network of streets near the BCC as a result of this (and PLAY! was great, mitigated only by the fact that my trip to see PLAY! took longer than the concert WAS).... but I also reacquainted myself with why I actually hate driving and only do it because it is needed.

I tell this story here because I'm concerned. Originally I was concerned about missing my Japanese class, and figured I'd come after, but I was concerned also about how I'd miss a lot of actual hanging out and gaming opportunity. I figured I'd be in soon enough to get my prereg materials, though.

Right now, I'm concerned as to whether that traffic is an issue. Granted, this is an evening trip, and the evening trip back would've been fine if I'd been on the right road. I find myself thinking that I'd miss all opportunity to see you guys at ALL Thursday (other than sleeping) AND miss my opportunity to get prereg materials if I didn't skip the class. But I'm concerned as to what I'll miss if I skip a session.

Driving to and from Baltimore when it's not right in the morning when I'd be setting out sounds like a bad idea. Missing the class sounds like a bad idea. Which is a less bad idea?
--

Ismail "Slipgate" Saeed

KAHighwind

• Chat Commissar
  • Lemon curry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 06:01:46 PM »
To answer your question about the numbers, we're now down to a maximum possible group size of fifteen, which is why although I'm still trying to get a third room, it's no longer quite so urgent.  As for the advantages and drawbacks of ducking out of your Japanese class on the Thursday to avoid hellish Baltimore traffic on the way in, well, I suppose that's really up to you - I can't stand driving in heavy traffic, so if it were me I'd probably sacrifice going to the Japanese class, but if you're particularly conscientious about studying the language, you may consider it worth the tedium of sitting in your car going nowhere for hours on end.  You may also want to consult Kris and Rahim if they're going to be arriving with you.

-Kain.

Slipgate

• Immortal Camorrista
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 01:07:42 AM »
We're back to 16, based on counting Gid, as the maximum possible number. Let's see how this goes. :)
--

Ismail "Slipgate" Saeed

KAHighwind

• Chat Commissar
  • Lemon curry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 03:50:05 AM »
We're back to 16, based on counting Gid, as the maximum possible number. Let's see how this goes. :)
No, it's still 15, including Gid.  See the Enumeration thread for a full, er, enumeration of said 15.

-Kain.

KAHighwind

• Chat Commissar
  • Lemon curry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 12:17:58 AM »
Well, now that we're down to 14 and only have two outstanding travel arrangements, I asked Gid/Ivan about his arrangements - I'm not sure he's done anything definitive yet, though, for reasons I'd rather not make "public", but I've asked him to let me know when he knows his flight times.

That just leaves Lance unaccounted for - Kathy?  Glazer?  Do you know when his flights arrive, or if he's going over land, and if so, when he expects to arrive?  Mostly I'm wondering whether or not he's due to arrive after we can get into one or more of the hotel rooms.  Technically check-in at the Holiday Inn is 4pm, but for all we know one or both of the rooms may be ready before then, so my plan is to ask at the desk upon arrival, but anyone who gets there before I do will need to engage in the time-honoured practice of finding a way to pass the time until the person who made the room reservations arrives and can let people in. (And similarly if I do succeed in getting a second room at the Radisson, unless Crax is due to arrive before I do and can admit any other morning arrivals.)

-Kain.

KAHighwind

• Chat Commissar
  • Lemon curry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 02:39:14 PM »
And here's another thing - those who are not driving into the Inner Harbour and will instead need to take the light rail from BWI or elsewhere, the Holiday Inn appears to be roughly equidistant from the Convention Centre and University Centre/Baltimore Street stop, whereas the Radisson, as some of you may remember, is a few blocks up Baltimore Street from the light rail stop with the same name.  I don't think it makes any difference to the fares, but the less distance we need to cover in the heat and humidity of Maryland in August, the better, so unless our local contact (i.e. Sean) knows otherwise, I presume we should opt for the Convention Centre stop if we stay at the Holiday Inn and the Baltimore Street stop if we stay at the Radisson.

-Kain.