Author Topic: Otakon 2008: Roommates  (Read 296 times)

32_Footsteps

• Seeker of Light Orbs
  • Still Spoony after all these years
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Madness & Genius
Otakon 2008: Roommates
« on: August 31, 2007, 09:40:32 PM »
First off - sorry I wasn't around the last several days.  I was at my grandmother Healey's funeral.

That said, at said funeral I got to see my cousins for the first time in seven years, and actually talk with them for the first time in 12 (or, considering the youngest was 4 at the time, really ever).  I randomly mentioned that I went to Otakon this year, and the second-youngest, Courtney, got really excited.  Turns out she and the youngest, Ryan (not that it matters at this time, but Ryan is a girl - we all think she got that name because my aunt picked it in lieu of having a boy), are both anime fans and wanted to go to Otakon but couldn't make it this year.

Courtney asked if I was going next year, and told her that most likely, yes, I was.  So, she's asked if she might be able to join our group.  If so, there would most likely be a +3 - my cousins Courtney and Ryan, and Courtney's boyfriend Bill.  I certainly would like to have them along, but I figured I'd ask everyone here before I told them to start arranging transportation.  So, would people mind if my cousins came along with our group?
--

Reality is a choice - a very poor one

Beyond Madness & Genius - Working on our first title, Point of Descent, for Xbox Live Indie Games.

KAHighwind

• Chat Commissar
  • Lemon curry?
    • View Profile
Re: Otakon 2008: Roommates
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 10:05:35 PM »
First, I'd like to offer my sympathies to you and your family, particularly your father and his siblings (but, of course, also to you and Lisa and your cousins), on the passing of your grandmother.  I gathered from the conversations we've had over the years that at least you do have a lot of fond memories of her, although I'm never sure if that makes the separation easier or more difficult.

Second, well, I can, of course, not speak for everyone here, but given that relatives have joined the group in the past (siblings and cousins both), I, at least, can see no objection to having your cousins join us.  Although.... it means it is ever more likely that we will need a third room if most of the people who attended in 2007 will be present again for 2008 - I know there were question marks over one or two of us (Slip, for example, given the proximity of next year's convention to his first wedding anniversary), and also that Glazer's brother Chris would likely be giving it a miss next year, but I was also under the impression that there was a greater chance of Angela, Kadie, and Simon (or some subset of those three) putting in appearances, which means the likely total number of people attending may be something like 17 or 18!

Still, if a third room can be secured (I have a high credit limit, so I can try my luck if people think it's a good idea, although Crax' comments about the odd state of bookings at the Radisson leads me to suspect I might not have much luck even were I to give it a bash), then it shouldn't be a problem for any reason I can see.  But, again, I'm only speaking for myself here.

-Kain.

Katyanna

• Licensed Spacecraft Pilot
  • Waaaiiiiifffuuuuu! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 05:53:36 PM »
I'll chime in my thoughts as well, in that we wouldn't mind at all.

I'd also like to express my condolences. Funerals are always a sad way to catch up with family. ^^;;;
"At this point the horse has left the barn, crossed the border and is drinking a deadly cocktail on a beach somewhere tropical." -Richard Clark, Medium.com writer on the Heartbleed exploit

Slipgate

• Immortal Camorrista
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 12:20:29 PM »
I've lost a fair number of family members over the years, and it sucks.  My condolences, Rick.

Not to devalue that, but to move to the subject at hand...

Considering I myself might pull for some more to come with me in the future (MAYBE), I'd say yes.

Keep in mind, though, that I was the person who said last year that we should DEFINITELY do three rooms from now on as a matter of course, and drop one or two of them before the two-week deadline if they turn out to be unneeded.  We ended up comfortable in two rooms this year, but considering the close call on that point and the fact that we're likely going to grow in size overall (even if some of us miss sometimes)... that's where my "we definitely get 3 rooms, so we're not freaked later, and we can drop the ones we don't need when we know our final number" thing came from.  I forget who I was with when I said this at the con, but they seemed to agree (or at least nod).

I realize I've been a bit of an enigma lately.  Work is kicking my ass so hard that I can't help that at the moment.  I'll send wedding pictures and give an update on my status when the choking sensation lets up.

As for Otakon next year, I'm always interested, so put me in the maybe pile for now.  By the time next year rolls around, I'll probably know how it goes.

And that's all I can say about that for now.
--

Ismail "Slipgate" Saeed
AGFF Veteran, Veteran of Old TheFurryOne.net Forum

Because metal waffles don't have fur.

"Luke, you are going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."