Author Topic: Otakon 2008: Hotels  (Read 495 times)

Katyanna

• Licensed Spacecraft Pilot
  • Waaaiiiiifffuuuuu! <3
    • View Profile
Otakon 2008: Hotels
« on: August 21, 2007, 12:00:21 AM »
Hotels for Otakon 2008 have been posted. Who wants to venture into the territory of booking for next year while rooms are still available?

http://www.otakon.com/hotels.asp

It should be noted that Andrew and I have already discussed that it shows the Days Inn as having rooms available. Granted, that was also info posted Friday. That's probably changed. However, we're of the opinion that while the Days Inn IS closer, that the Radisson, so far, has managed to NOT screw up our reservations for 2 rooms, preferably in the same vicinity, for the last two years. Thereby earning our limited money.

But we are certainly willing to hear any arguments. ;)
"At this point the horse has left the barn, crossed the border and is drinking a deadly cocktail on a beach somewhere tropical." -Richard Clark, Medium.com writer on the Heartbleed exploit

Lord_Craxton

• Greater Child Of The Cottontail
    • View Profile
Re: Otakon 2008: Hotels
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 02:29:29 AM »
I called the Radisson last week to try and set things up. According to them, they're booked up for Saturday. Not the other days mind you, just Saturday. >_< I'll make calls tomorrow to see what's up. To be quite frank, I'm thinking I might want to get someone else to do this this year, but I'll do it if necessary.
"Yes, ninety percent would never get finished, and ninety percent of the rest would suck. That's the way it always works. That's how you get stuff that kicks ass."
-Andrew Plotkin

Katyanna

• Waaaiiiiifffuuuuu! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 01:49:48 PM »
I called the Radisson last week to try and set things up. According to them, they're booked up for Saturday. Not the other days mind you, just Saturday. >_< I'll make calls tomorrow to see what's up. To be quite frank, I'm thinking I might want to get someone else to do this this year, but I'll do it if necessary.

Hrm. That would be quite problematic. Makes me wonder if there's some other event planned in town that weekend. Or if someone's doing a day conference at their hotel. I mean, I wouldn't blame them, necessarily. It IS a nice hotel.
"At this point the horse has left the barn, crossed the border and is drinking a deadly cocktail on a beach somewhere tropical." -Richard Clark, Medium.com writer on the Heartbleed exploit

Lord_Craxton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 02:55:17 PM »
Alright, the story with the Radisson is thus:

For some reason, the rooms they reserved for the con rate sold out on THURSDAY, but not any of the other days. Which doesn't make any sense to me, but whatever. The guy who made the reservations for me seemed to be new, he sent out multiple confirmation e-mails and fumbled a little with the rate. I reserved us two adjoining double-bed rooms, but Thursday night will be at the normal rate- $50 more per room. No big deal. They wouldn't give me a grand total, but my calculations say about $1120.

However, I may be paranoid, but something seems a little strange- it doesn't make sense that the rooms would sell out Thursday, before the con actually starts, but not the days of the con. And although I acknowledge that everyone has a first day at their job at some point, the guy's fumbling around makes me a little nervous. So I'd like to get a back-up plan going- remember, we can always cancel later if things go wonky. Looking over the hotels list, I like The Holiday Inn, Days Inn, and Marriott- everything else is either a bit too expensive or too much of a walk from the BCC. I called each, and they each gave me the same answer- the Otakon weekend is not in their database yet, as it only goes so far into the future.

Days Inn said they'd call me back when the rooms open up, for the others I'll have to call back every day/week until they open up.

Further bulletins as events warrant.
"Yes, ninety percent would never get finished, and ninety percent of the rest would suck. That's the way it always works. That's how you get stuff that kicks ass."
-Andrew Plotkin

Katyanna

• Waaaiiiiifffuuuuu! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 07:15:41 PM »
I don't know that I would trust a hotel to "call me back" personally. But I suppose we'll check options as well. It does seem very odd to me also that the would be booked through Thursday, for the con block at that, and not the rest of the weekend. O_o

TheFurryOne

• Forum Tyrant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 11:21:07 AM »
If a backup plan is needed, do I need to have the money on-tap prior to then or just a nominal deposit to reserve?  I could probably handle that if needed.  (Obviously I would have to have a sufficient reserve prior to the convention in order to pay for such a room if we do use the backup, but that's 11 months away and easily handled.)
Your Loving Tyrant

Wildfire Darkstar

• Sibling From Another Warren
  • Baby stabby boi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 02:56:42 PM »
Has there been any further movement on this front? If necessary, as the resident, uh... resident, I can make some calls and see about reserving a few rooms.

Lord_Craxton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 07:06:47 PM »
OH, FUCK!

I completely forgot! Damnation!

According to the Otakon site, they're booked at all but the Radisson, Wyndham, Renaissance and Tremont. Arggh. -_- Well, I'll call tomorrow and see what's what- In the meantime, we do have those rooms at the Radisson, so it's not disasterous...

Y'know, what we really need is a member of the group who lives in the city of Baltimore, so we can just crash with him and not have to worry about this shit...
-Andrew Plotkin

KAHighwind

• Chat Commissar
  • Lemon curry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 10:45:16 PM »
They're not booked out at the Radisson, you say?  I ask because I rather suspect we might need a third room for 2008 if Rick's cousins and one of their significant others can make it, and if there are still rooms available at the Radisson, my credit limit is much more than I can ever imagine piling onto my card at one time (mostly 'cos I racked up a huge bill with my moving costs and paid it off immediately), so I'd be happy to book the third room if there is still a third room to be booked.  And it would make rather more sense to book the third room at the Radisson if we're already set up for two rooms there. (Do please let us know if there are any snags on that front, Crax - the impression I have from your other posts to this thread is that the staff member through whom you booked the rooms didn't seem particularly on top of things.)

Anyway, yeah - if you're looking for someone with an unnecessarily large credit limit to book a third room, I'll volunteer, but if it would make more sense for a local to book the third room, I'll defer to Sean's offer to sort things out.

-Kain.

32_Footsteps

• Seeker of Light Orbs
  • Still Spoony after all these years
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Madness & Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 09:50:51 AM »
I was actually planning on calling Courtney later on tonight to see if she and Ryan are still interested, and if they would want to come with our group if they did go.  I'll give a further update tonight.
--

Reality is a choice - a very poor one

Beyond Madness & Genius - Working on our first title, Point of Descent, for Xbox Live Indie Games.

Lord_Craxton

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 10:15:43 PM »
Okies... I made calls today, turns out The Radisson is booked solid for Thursday- rooms open Friday and Saturday, though. No, that still doesn't make any goddamn sense. The Renaissance has rooms, but they're more expensive. The Tremont, but they're a bit of a walk. The Sheraton-formerly-Wyndham I didn't try, but if it comes down to it I can. Everything else, sold out. Someone else should probably book the rooms- I don't think we want to risk a repeat of this past year, where I wound up with a maxed-out credit card for the duration of the con. (BTW, thanks again for the save, Rick. ^_^ )

-Andrew Plotkin

KAHighwind

• Chat Commissar
  • Lemon curry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 12:15:38 PM »
I'm confused.  Do we actually have any reservations at the moment, in the Radisson or elsewhere?  I was under the impression that we had rooms booked at the convention rate for Friday and Saturday and at the standard rate for Thursday.  If we don't have reservations there or anywhere else at the moment, I'd be happy to ring them tonight and set up the rooms - or, if we already have two rooms reserved, at least ask about reserving a third room.

Do let me know, though, what we actually have reserved at the moment.

-Kain.

Lord_Craxton

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 02:16:49 PM »
Yes, we have two rooms at the Radisson. But it's looking like we might need a third.
-Andrew Plotkin

TheFurryOne

• Forum Tyrant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 08:27:19 AM »
After reading the notice that the downtown hotels were completely booked, I had a mild panic attack and came rushing back here to see if we'd covered this.  I am, of course, glad that we have.  Yeah, it's still six months away (only six months?!) but still, at least we don't have this worrying us.

On a slightly unrelated note, I'm curious to wonder if other, larger conventions have similar problems, with rooms being scarce or gone long before the event.
Your Loving Tyrant

32_Footsteps

• Seeker of Light Orbs
  • Still Spoony after all these years
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Madness & Genius
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 12:29:58 PM »
Well, Otakon has a problem in that it's a fairly large convention in a city not really built for a convention of that size.  Baltimore doesn't have enough hotels, really, to justify a con the size of Otakon.

Though thanks for the heads-up - my cousins were talking about getting their own room for Otakon, and I have to let them know that's not really a possibility.
--

Reality is a choice - a very poor one

Beyond Madness & Genius - Working on our first title, Point of Descent, for Xbox Live Indie Games.

Wildfire Darkstar

• Sibling From Another Warren
  • Baby stabby boi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 02:02:47 PM »
Since Baltimore's cleaned up the Inner Harbor, and built the two stadiums and convention center, they've never had the hotel space the area. Those of you who were at Otakon last year probably noticed all the construction across the street, which is the city's belated attempt to address the problem. Unfortunately, in addressing that problem, they're creating another one, namely, parking. But, then again, I don't drive, so what do I care?

FWIW, it looks like Yahoo!/Travelocity still has some rooms available at various Inner Harbor hotels, although obviously not at the convention rates. And it looks like the Radisson isn't among them.

KAHighwind

• Chat Commissar
  • Lemon curry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 02:16:30 PM »
Ach Gott, I'd forgotten until I read this thread that we might have needed a third room and that I'd volunteered to book said room.  Erm.... and I haven't done that, and as Sean says, the Radisson is booked solid for some, all, or more of the nights for which we'd need rooms.  So it's just the two rooms this year.... and apparently they'll be a tad crowded, although I suppose at this point we don't have a particularly concrete idea how many people will be in our group, not least as there are some from among our number last year and the year before who have been quite silent on these boards.

Perhaps this would be a good time to get the enumeration thread kicked off, then.

-Kain.