Author Topic: Otakon 2008: August 8-10, 2008  (Read 478 times)

Slipgate

• Immortal Camorrista
    • View Profile
Otakon 2008: August 8-10, 2008
« on: July 26, 2007, 05:13:28 PM »
Hey all,

The dates for Otakon 2008 have been announced.  As far as I know, that is ALL that has been announced (meaning I don't think hotel blocks have been announced).

Going off the assumption that August 8-10 is a weekend (and that's a safe assumption), these dates are really bad for me.

See, as anyone going to my wedding knows, it is the weekend which is in closest proximity to my first wedding anniversary (though admittedly not on the day of)...

But also, it's the weekend in closest proximity to my best friend's birthday.  Even if I wasn't trying to do anniversary stuff over the weekend (if we can do it on Monday, for example), the schedules of this friend and I mean that going to Otakon is effectively bumping his birthday back or forward a week for the sake of the con.

I did that in my first year at Otakon.  I don't want to do that ever again if I can avoid it.

Granted, he himself might be so busy that weekend that it bumps itself up or down a week, but I don't want to be the person to do that.

I'll see what happens as the year develops, I guess.  Maybe I'll only make it to part of the con, maybe both of these potential issues will have long since been addressed by then, maybe... who knows, we'll see.

I didn't mean to devolve this into this subject... so, uh, to reiterate my original point for this post: Otakon 2008 will be August 8-10, 2008.
--

Ismail "Slipgate" Saeed
AGFF Veteran, Veteran of Old TheFurryOne.net Forum

Because metal waffles don't have fur.

"Luke, you are going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

32_Footsteps

• Seeker of Light Orbs
  • Still Spoony after all these years
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Madness & Genius
Re: Otakon 2008: August 8-10, 2008
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 06:22:26 PM »
My plans will be highly dependant on when Georgy wants to celebrate her birthday, since Otakon is the weekend before it.  She usually likes to have one weekend be for her and her brother, and another for me.  If she picks the weekend of Otakon to be the weekend her and her brother have a wacky adventure, then I'm all fine.

EDIT: Of course, we could always try starting up the idea of gathering at someone's house for a weekend and calling it NPCCon.  I've got space (as Kain can attest).
--

Reality is a choice - a very poor one

Beyond Madness & Genius - Working on our first title, Point of Descent, for Xbox Live Indie Games.

KAHighwind

• Chat Commissar
  • Lemon curry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 08:17:37 PM »
I suppose whether or not I'll be able to make it depends highly on when the academic year at UGA begins in 2008; I'd imagine it will begin on the 14 August, which is the Thursday following the convention, but I'd have to double check.  If that is when it begins, then I suppose for now, at least, I can't imagine any major obstacles preventing me from going.

Still, I do like the "NPCCon" idea - and next year I will also have plenty of space (most notably two bedrooms and two full bathrooms), so there's another theoretical venue.

On a related note, I hate moving!!! :P I mean, I've almost finished packing everything up, but as is ever the case, I seem to find more things I haven't packed every time I turn around.  I just hope I can finish tonight, as the trailer into which everything will be loaded is currently sitting outside, and the loaders are due at 12pm tomorrow. (I will, however, still have Internet access at home.  Just no furniture.  Oh well, at least I'll finally be able to purchase and read the last Harry Potter book to while away the days.)

-Kain.

Slipgate

• Immortal Camorrista
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 08:40:43 PM »
Well, you aren't going to be an assistant or marker or anything like that now, you would yourself be the teacher (I imagine, though I could be wrong, that you've been "provided" classes or duties before rather than them being wholly your own with only you as the teacher)...

Unless you've already managed your own wholly-run classes, I imagine you'll at least want to have a lesson plan devised and ready before Otakon, to be able to enjoy the weekend and then not return to stress after it (assuming either that the semester starts immediately or within just a couple days).

Remember two years ago when I was finishing a syllabus (my first ever) on the Sunday when we got home from Otakon?  For a class the next morning?

Remember this year when I pretty much became a humorless recluse again following Otakon? :P  (Current word on that is that I'm a bit better, but that's due to the sanity-inducing thing known as learning I have more time to finish than I previously feared...)

Yeah, I wouldn't wish either of those situations on you.

Man, I wonder what I'll come home to next Otakon, assuming I make it there with no problem... an anniversary?  A project?  A set of frowning faces?  Who knows?

Here is hoping Otakon 2009 gets to have a perfectly routine end... it'll be my first perfectly routine end since 2004... though perhaps I should say since 2003 (please don't ask about 2004 - if you know, you know, if you don't...)

I almost forgot:  Cabbit, remember when we talked about me getting in a massage chair?  Partly due to the humor, partly because it would only cost a buck and I thought "why not?", during the lunch together on Thursday at the food court (before you came) I finished eating and then saw the massage chairs that were up against the window side of the court, and I got in one and gave it a dollar.  I had Kris take a picture of me in the chair as "visual proof" that I did in fact get in a massage chair, and since you had said to use one and that it was "on you" I was going to jokingly show you the picture and ask you to reimburse me the dollar.  I'm mentioning it now only for 1) if you want the picture anyway (no reimbursement expected, heh) 2) to note this truly sad fact:  I once had a massage done professionally by a place that my sister said I should definitely go to and took my mom and me to.  So it was a professional masseuse, you know?  It was nice but seriously I was the same after as I was before... not any mellower, just had spent some time indoors and then come back out.  It cost a lot of money.  THIS CHAIR, which I gave $1, gave me an awesome massage that I felt rivaled that masseuse, and really did mellow me out, to the point that I was just sort of "heeeeeeeeey man....... everathin's..... cool...." to Kris after the chair finished... and I just kinda sat there staring at the ceiling before I reasserted worldly presence.  In that time, Kris had sat down himself into the chair next to mine.  Admittedly, the uber-mellowness had returned to regular behavior by the time I walked back to the others, but I did still feel better.  So I wanted to tell you that it was both funny and that I took your suggestion and it helped.

Lastly: I remember Rick mentioning NPCCon... but what is it, really?  Is it just us hanging out?  ... or was there something specific?  I seem to remember something but I think I only caught the tail end of it.
--

Ismail "Slipgate" Saeed

"Luke, you are going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

32_Footsteps

• Seeker of Light Orbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 11:21:52 PM »
NPCCon was the idea that was come up with when we realized how much money we were all spending just to hang out.  The idea would be to gather for a whole weekend at someone's place, and come up with out own programming and possible events.  The goal would be to reduce the costs to just travelling and food.  The downside would be a lack of dealer's room, but the upside would be the incredible affordability of it all.

I think the idea was, if we actually pursue it, to be in the fall of '08 at the earliest.  Early October is a time when we'd probably have the best combination of weather and lack of other expenses, if we do it.
--

Beyond Madness & Genius - Working on our first title, Point of Descent, for Xbox Live Indie Games.

Slipgate

• Immortal Camorrista
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 12:17:02 AM »
NPCCon was the idea that was come up with when we realized how much money we were all spending just to hang out.  The idea would be to gather for a whole weekend at someone's place, and come up with out own programming and possible events.  The goal would be to reduce the costs to just travelling and food.  The downside would be a lack of dealer's room, but the upside would be the incredible affordability of it all.

I think the idea was, if we actually pursue it, to be in the fall of '08 at the earliest.  Early October is a time when we'd probably have the best combination of weather and lack of other expenses, if we do it.

I thought I remembered you suggesting it, but I hadn't caught all of the conversation.

But... Um....

Meaning not going to Otakon and instead doing this?

... Or is the "con" term just a herring here, and you're basically just saying "Let's hang out other times also?"

This isn't resistance to the idea... just puzzlement and wondering if you meant it in the sense of forgoing Otakon for this.
--

Ismail "Slipgate" Saeed

32_Footsteps

• Seeker of Light Orbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 12:45:36 AM »
Heaven forbid we "cancel" Otakon...

I think it would be up to each individual person if they wanted to go to only one or both.
--

Katyanna

• Licensed Spacecraft Pilot
  • Waaaiiiiifffuuuuu! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 01:28:18 AM »
I certainly like the idea of NPCCon, but still enjoy Otakon despite the huge dent it puts in our finances every year. Though we did admittedly come out better financially than most years this year. Spent less in the Dealer's Room, etc. However, seeing everyone is probably the biggest draw of the whole con thing for me. Seeing new stuff is good, but I love to see everyone much more than that. We have a blast when we get together. And hey, we wouldn't have to resort to minor tasks of vandalism to play games! ;)
"At this point the horse has left the barn, crossed the border and is drinking a deadly cocktail on a beach somewhere tropical." -Richard Clark, Medium.com writer on the Heartbleed exploit

Slipgate

• Immortal Camorrista
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 08:25:40 AM »
Otakon's a pretty big deal to me.  At a time when some others in my family don't understand my continuous going, I was just sort of worried for a moment there that a conversation about jumping ship had occurred at the con without my realizing.  I go partly to see all of you, yes, but that's not my only reason.

Sorry if I came off weird... I just had this funny feeling when I heard this.

Hanging out at other times (finances/schedules permitting) is of course welcome.  Hey, it got me to fly to England five years ago... so you know I'd go to it if possible. :)
--

Ismail "Slipgate" Saeed

32_Footsteps

• Seeker of Light Orbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 09:24:04 AM »
Otakon isn't that much of a big deal to me - but then, I end up dissecting it (the con itself, not times spent hanging out with folks) and end up comparing it to AB, so I'm typically looking at it on a business level.

And like I said, even if every single last one of us stops going to Otakon (which I doubt, but just for argument), it's not like someone would hold you at gunpoint and force you to not go as well.

NPCCon was just a joking reference to the fact that we only get together en masse for a convention (and I initially called it TFOCon, until John said he'd be too modest to call it that).  That, and the idea that we could whip together some t-shirts for it and have people at other conventions ask about signing up for it (you laugh, but the flyers we had at the AB booth advertising for DramaCon by featuring its fictional Yatta-Con had people asking to register for Yatta-Con, too).

I have to admit, the availability of two bathrooms does make Kain's place sound tempting.  Mine only has one - but I do have consoles already hooked up, most of the games we end up playing at cons, and an ice cream maker.
--

TheFurryOne

• Forum Tyrant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 09:37:01 AM »
Unrelated:  The "pitch" letters I send out to literary agents for Inconsequential start out as an invitation to 'the convention'.  I honestly hadn't even thought about getting a shirt made up for 'Incon', but it does sort of make sense.

Anyway, I don't think that Otakon and the proposed gathering were ever intended to be mutually exclusive, but one of the reasons we've always gravitated towards Otakon was that it was a central event that most of us had an interest in, and was the one major journey that many of us could take.  I like the idea of a non-convention gathering as well.

Also: Slip, I did see those chairs in the food court, and if you had been with us at that time I practically would have put you in one myself.  :)  Glad to know it helped.  Also, I can certainly understand the whole "post-con real-world 'I don't want to deal with this'" thing...  I'll go into more detail next week (when what's been weighing on me is resolved) but I do understand.

Hrm.  "No Particular Circumstance-Con".  I kinda like it.  :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 09:41:36 AM by TheFurryOne »
Your Loving Tyrant

TheFurryOne

• Forum Tyrant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 08:57:03 AM »
Registration for Otakon 2008 started last week:

http://www.otakon.com/registration.asp

Aside from a price increase of $5, nothing new here.  I'm in; the pre-registration rate is good until July 11th.

It just seems so strange to be preparing for Otakon already...  then again, I put in my registration for Tekkoshocon in September, and that's not until the beginning of April, so it's probably not that strange.
Your Loving Tyrant

Lord_Craxton

• Greater Child Of The Cottontail
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 01:43:31 PM »
WTF? Their sign-up form doesn't work in Firefox because they're using browser scripts or somesuch. Why on earth did they think that was a good idea? Cookies, sure, I'll deal with a few cookies, but now I can't register because someone in their IT got cute. Dammit. -_-+++
"Yes, ninety percent would never get finished, and ninety percent of the rest would suck. That's the way it always works. That's how you get stuff that kicks ass."
-Andrew Plotkin

TheFurryOne

• Forum Tyrant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 01:45:35 PM »
Wait, what?  I signed up just fine-- Firefox, even with AdBlock Plus running.  What exactly is going on?  (I do recall having some trouble last year signing up, due to some server overload, but....)
Your Loving Tyrant

KAHighwind

• Chat Commissar
  • Lemon curry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 08:27:38 PM »
Done, done, and.... er.... whatever comes after that.  Oh yeah, I remember now - done!  Now I just need to arrange transport somehow, either by roadway or by railway or by airway or by someotherway.  And there's another issue which probably needs resolving which I'll address in the other thread.

-Kain.